Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CHINAMFG requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Accommodating Variable Operating Conditions and Loads with Jaw Couplings
Jaw couplings are designed to accommodate variable operating conditions and loads, making them suitable for a wide range of applications. Here’s how jaw couplings achieve this:
- Flexibility: The elastomeric spider (flexible element) in a jaw coupling provides flexibility, allowing for angular, parallel, and axial misalignment between the connected shafts. This flexibility helps to compensate for minor misalignments that may occur during operation or due to changes in operating conditions.
- Shock Absorption: The elastomeric spider also acts as a shock absorber, dampening vibrations and reducing the impact of sudden loads or shocks. This feature is particularly beneficial in applications where the connected equipment may experience variable or unpredictable loads.
- Torsional Stiffness Options: Jaw couplings are available in different torsional stiffness options, depending on the specific application requirements. Couplings with higher torsional stiffness are suitable for precision applications with minimal misalignment, while those with lower stiffness are ideal for applications with higher misalignment and shock absorption needs.
- Material Selection: Jaw couplings can be manufactured from various materials, such as aluminum, steel, or stainless steel, to suit different environmental conditions and loads. Corrosion-resistant materials are available for harsh environments, ensuring the coupling’s performance remains unaffected by changing operating conditions.
- Size and Torque Ratings: Jaw couplings are available in a wide range of sizes and torque ratings, allowing users to select the appropriate coupling based on the expected operating conditions and torque requirements of the application. It’s essential to choose a coupling size that comfortably handles the maximum expected load.
- Interchangeability: Many jaw couplings are designed to be interchangeable with other manufacturers’ couplings of the same size and type. This feature provides flexibility in sourcing replacements and makes it easier to adapt the coupling to changing requirements or equipment configurations.
Overall, jaw couplings’ ability to handle variable operating conditions, misalignments, and loads makes them versatile and reliable components in a wide range of mechanical systems and applications.
What are the common signs of wear and failure in jaw couplings?
Jaw couplings are reliable components, but like any mechanical part, they can experience wear and eventually fail if not properly maintained or replaced when necessary. Here are some common signs of wear and failure to look out for in jaw couplings:
- Excessive Vibration: Increased vibration during operation may indicate wear in the elastomer spider or misalignment between the coupling hubs. Excessive vibration can lead to further damage and should be addressed promptly to prevent more significant issues.
- Abnormal Noise: Unusual noises, such as rattling, clanking, or squeaking sounds, can indicate wear, misalignment, or damage in the jaw coupling. A well-functioning jaw coupling should operate smoothly and quietly.
- Visible Cracks or Damage: Inspect the jaw coupling regularly for any visible cracks, tears, or damage to the elastomer spider or coupling hubs. Cracks in the elastomer can lead to reduced torque transmission and compromise the coupling’s performance.
- Loose or Displaced Spider: A loose or displaced elastomer spider may result from wear or improper installation. The spider should fit securely between the coupling hubs. Any sign of misalignment or gaps in the spider indicates potential wear or failure.
- Increased Heat: Excessive heat generation in the jaw coupling could indicate high levels of friction or misalignment, leading to wear on the elastomer spider. Elevated temperatures can accelerate wear and shorten the coupling’s lifespan.
- Shaft Misalignment: If you notice misalignment between the connected shafts, it can be a sign that the jaw coupling is no longer compensating for misalignment properly. This can lead to increased stress on the shafts and coupling components.
- Reduced Performance: A jaw coupling nearing the end of its service life may experience reduced torque transmission and compromised rotational speed control. As the elastomer spider wears, the coupling’s ability to transmit torque efficiently diminishes.
- Unexpected Downtime: Frequent unexpected shutdowns or downtime may indicate coupling failure. Sudden coupling failure can lead to costly equipment damage and unplanned production halts.
It is essential to conduct regular maintenance and inspections to detect these signs of wear and failure early. Preventive measures such as proper lubrication, alignment checks, and timely replacement of worn elastomer spiders can extend the life of the jaw coupling and prevent unexpected failures.
If any of these signs are observed, it is advisable to consult coupling manufacturers or maintenance professionals for a thorough assessment and appropriate corrective actions.
Use of Jaw Couplings in Horizontal and Vertical Shaft Arrangements
Jaw couplings are versatile and can be used in both horizontal and vertical shaft arrangements. Their flexible and misalignment-absorbing design makes them suitable for various applications in different orientations.
Horizontal Shaft Arrangements: In horizontal shaft arrangements, the shafts are positioned parallel to the ground. Jaw couplings are commonly employed in this configuration to connect two shafts, such as those found in motor-driven systems, conveyor belts, and pumps.
Vertical Shaft Arrangements: In vertical shaft arrangements, the shafts are positioned perpendicular to the ground, one above the other. Jaw couplings can also be used in this setup to transmit power between the two vertically aligned shafts. Examples of applications with vertical shaft arrangements include some types of gearboxes, vertical pumps, and certain types of compressors.
It’s important to note that when using jaw couplings in vertical shaft arrangements, the weight of the connected equipment can impose axial loads on the coupling. In such cases, the coupling should be selected to handle both the radial and axial loads to ensure reliable performance.
Whether in horizontal or vertical arrangements, jaw couplings provide a cost-effective and efficient method of power transmission while accommodating misalignment and reducing shock loads. However, it is essential to consider the specific application’s requirements and select the appropriate size and type of jaw coupling for optimal performance and longevity.
editor by CX 2023-09-18